A large and beautiful sandstone church, St George’s Battery Point is one of the earliest Anglican churches in Tasmania. The story of St George’s begins in 1834 when the city of Hobart was just 30 years old. That year a petition was presented to the Lieutenant Governor of Van Diemen’s Land that a Church should be built for the residents of Queenborough. The site chosen was the highest point of Battery Point, then known as Kermode’s Hill. The Trustees paid Mr Kermode, who owned most of the land in the area, £250 for the site. The building of St George’s began in 1836 and services commenced 26 May 1838. The church was consecrated on 26 May 1838 by the Rt. Rev. W. G. Broughton, the first and only Bishop of Australia, assisted by the Ven. Archdeacon W. Hutchins, Archdeacon of Van Diemen’s Land, and the Rev. W. Bedford of St. David’s.St George’s was designed in the Neo-Classical style then current in London. The Government architect, John Lee Archer, designed the body of the building; the tower and porch were designed by convict architect, James Blackburn. The church has an unusual layout, with two side aisles instead of a single central aisle. It still has its original cedar box pews.
Narryna Heritage Museum is a gem of Australian colonial architecture containing a rich collection of Tasmanian fine and decorative arts. The fine Greek Revival town house was built by Captain Andrew Haig in 1837-40. Haig purchased the land holding in 1824 in the course of a lucrative trading voyage between Calcutta, Canton and Valparaiso. Haig built warehouses facing Salamanca Place in 1834 and set up as a merchant and shipbuilder while also operating goods and passenger services to mainland ports. Haig was forced to sell up after an economic downturn hit the Australian colonies in 1842.
Narryna was later the residence of an array of Hobart businessmen and women, lawyers, politicians and bankers. In 1955 it became Australia’s first folk museum through the efforts of local residents who formed a collection that is redolent of the mercantile and maritime histories of Salamanca Place and Battery Point. Step into Narryna for a rich experience of early colonial life.
If you’re feeling like it’s time for a bit of time-out before carrying on towards Salamanca, you could stop off for some refueling at JamJar or Jackman McRoss on Hampden Road.
ave a little wander into nearby Arthur Circus for a glimpse of the past.
Then head for nearby Kelly’s Steps, an architectural landmark in Hobart. The steps, named after James Kelly, connect the suburb of Battery Point to Salamanca Place. At the time Kelly constructed the steps in 1839, Battery Point was on a cliff that overlooked wharfs of Sullivans Cove. The steps were cut into the stone of the cliffs.
The warehouses that lined the wharfs on what is now Salamanca Place were built with stone quarried from the cliffs. The steps lead up to Kelly Street, Battery Point. At the foot of the steps, Kelly’s Lane leads to Salamanca Place.
Salamanca Place consists of rows of sandstone buildings, formerly warehouses for the port of Hobart Town that have since been converted into restaurants, galleries, craft shops and offices. It was named after the victory in 1812 of the Duke of Wellington in the Battle of Salamanca in the Spanish province of Salamanca. It was previously called “The Cottage Green”.
Each Saturday, Salamanca Place is the site for Salamanca Market, which is popular with tourists and locals.
Salamanca Place is also popular after dark with both locals and visitors enjoying bars and eateries located there and the nearby wharves.
In the mid-1990s, Salamanca Square, a sheltered public square was built. Ringed by shops, cafes, and restaurants, the centrepiece fountain and its lawns are a safe environment where children play alongside individuals and families. There are many laneways and several squares adjacent to Salamanca Place, built during the whaling industry boom in the early and mid-19th century.
Favourite cafe and bars in Salamanca are Tricycle Cafe, Jack Green and Barcelona. Favourite lunch and dinner venues: Smolt, The Quarry, Rockwall and The Ball & Chain (a local institution – steak paradise). Also nearby Daci and Daci is an amazing patisserie…And then there’s Preachers on the way home (Knopwood St).
Opening hours and admission
Tuesday – Saturday 10:30 am – 5:00 pm
Sunday 12:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Last entry at 4:30pm
Closed: Good Friday, ANZAC Day, Christmas Day and Boxing Day and for the whole of July.
Please note Narryna also closes briefly for lunch on weekdays from 12:30 pm – 1:00 pm.
Admission: adults $10, concession $8, children (non-student) $4.